Sunday, October 1, 2017

A visit to The Hare and The Hatter restaurant.

A cold Saturday morning, I woke up at 7.00 a.m to head to the gym with my mind filled with what to eat for a morning breakfast. I usually don't have breakfast on weekends as I tend to eat early lunch. Since I am an early bird, I finished the workout and walked to the nearby new restaurant The Hare and The Hatter at Bayswater precinct. It used to be some furniture shop until few months ago it was renovated and turned into a fusion style restaurant serving brunch, pastries, coffee and cakes.
Tip: Head in the early as tables are quickly snapped up by customers on weekends even it's early. It's hard to find parking in the compound so you can either park opposite at the Bayswater Hotel area or walk there if you live nearby (like me!) When I arrived there at 8.15 a.m, there were several cars with customers waiting to get in for breakfast! Talk about 'kiasu'...really!

As I glanced through the menu, I decided to order the Benedictine Adventure meal consists of pulled pork, home made hash brown served with two poached eggs topped with hollandaise sauce, kim-chi and some cucumber garnish. It was a big portion for AU$19.00. I struggled to finish up the pulled pork. Their unique brewed coffee-  I had the Mocha has a distinctive bitter taste without the chocolatey taste and not much foam on top- AU$3.80 for a small cup.

I've seen other customers having the different breakfast options such as Chase the White Rabbit and some came like a terrarium with dry ice creating the smoke feeling. It does feel like you are in some wonderland. The restaurant is decorated with some big-small glass terrariums of moss, little figurines of Alice In the Wonderland. The cakes displayed on the main counter had the same ambience and names of the movie. Mousse cakes have various unique names such as The Hatter (green colour), Alice (blue eclair), Cheshire cat (purple colour), Rabbit (orange colour) and the Queen (red colour). There were abundant of pretty looking danish pastries, scones, brownies, croissants, cup cakes and donuts. 

I wouldn't mind trying the Tweedle Burger in future but I have to scoot in early as usual to get a place to sit. I remembered going in at 9.30 a.m on a Sunday morning and it was fully packed.
I had to stand outside for a while and decided to walk away...lucky me I stayed close by otherwise I'd have wasted my petrol to come all the way. 

The Hare and The Hatter does serve kids meals and high-tea (N/A in winter)


After finishing up my brunch, I couldn't help but to take away one of the cute looking character chocolate cake mousse. I bought the Rabbit orange jelly cake- AU$8.50 for each- in a nice looking blue box with a sticker says Eat Me. It was freezing that morning at 4-degrees as I quickly strut back home. I remembered my entire gym clothes and jacket smell of food like cooked pork and eggs...etc. 


Another handy tip- don't bother putting on your beautiful clothes or favourite jacket as you will just smell like the restaurant. The place doesn't have good air ventilation or suction, the staffs didn't open the windows due to the cold draft. Probably best of to sit outside when weather is warmer.

Price $: 3.5/5 stars (all breakfast meals costs $15.00 and above) 
Ambience: Good 3.5/5 stars
Taste: Good 4.0/5 stars 
Customer service: 3.5/5 stars
Location: 3/5 stars (parking space is limited)










No comments: