Friday, September 2, 2016

Movie Review: Train to Busan (Korean movie)

Last Friday I had a wild adventure of my life after work...not that I did anything special but I reserved a ticket for a 7.10 pm K-movie at Century City Village Cinemas at Glen. I read plenty of reviews and netizens blog regarding the zombie horror flick Train To Busan
Since this movie has hit the 10 million mark cinema viewers in South Korea, I though I should watch this movie in the big screen. It was only released in Australia on 12th August.

I have to admit I clenched my fists and jumped out from my seat several times during the movie. I am neither a zombie movie nor a horror flick fan, so this has really tested my patience and fright level. The movie opens with a fund manager Seok Woo (played by Gong Yoo) who is undergoing a stressful period in his career and his marriage is on the rocks since he is separated from his wife. He is forced to take his little daughter Su An (Ppayed by Kim Su An) down to Busan via KTX train. The following morning the father-daughter boarded the express train from Seoul to Busan with strange incidents started to happen. A woman bitten boarded the train suddenly turns into a zombie and starts infecting other passengers on board. 

The rest of the remaining passengers on the 101 Train have to survive no matter how difficult it was to avoid the horror in their lives. Seok Woo meets a strong fella Sang Hwa (played by Ma Dong Suk) and his pregnant wife Sung Kyung (played by Jung Yu Mi) and they ran for their lives. The driver of the train panics as well and informs the rest of the passengers they are stopping at Daejeon station. Seok Woo is informed by his colleague to get him and Su An out safely. To their shock, the passengers saw Daejeon station was also infected by tons of zombie soldiers. They ran back into the train to escape from the zombies. Students Young Guk (played by Choi Woo Shik) and his girlfriend Jin Hee (played by Ahn So Hee) survived the ordeal but their friends turned into zombies. However there was this selfish CEO of Stallion Express Yong Suk (played by Kim Eui Sung) who would risk everyone's lives for his own. Young Guk, Sang Hwa and Seok Woo cooperated together to fight off the zombies in every carriage to reach the safe compartment only to be nearly killed by Yong Suk's selfishness. 

Everyone was desperate to survive and shoo the rest of them into another carriage afraid they would infect them as well. However their selfishness brought them to own downfall when an elderly lady saw her sister turned into a zombie and she opened the door!
It was indeed a nail biting experience when Seok Woo, Sung Kyung and Su An ran for their lives onto another moving train with hundreds of zombies chasing from behind. The evil Yong Suk was also bitten by zombie and slowly turned into one. In order to save Sung Kyung and Su An, Seok Woo fought hard with Yong Suk but he was also bitten as well. In tears, he quickly taught them how to operate and halt the train to Busan. He recalled his memories when he first saw little Su An was born and cradled in his arms, he was all in tears when he jumped off from the moving train. Poor Su An cried non stop calling her father and Sung Kyung held her closely. 


The train eventually stopped at the tunnel to Busan. The place was heavily guarded by soldiers and military to shoot any zombies coming into the city. Apparently Busan was the only safe city which was not infected at all. Sung Kyung and Su An were the only survivors from the KTX train and they walked slowly to the soldiers who were ready to fire at anytime. Lucky Su An started singing a song which she has practised all along for Seok Woo. The military recognized that they are not infected as no zombies would know or sing a folk song. 

Thumbs up for PD Yeon Sang Ho and writer Park Joo Su who did this film. It was one of the best Korean movies this year that I've watched. As I said I am usually not a fan of horror flicks but this certainly kept me going. I admitted I do close my eyes at some scenes of the movies...I totally freaked out and inside me I was literally shouting faster! faster!  for the survivors to run for their lives. The bloody zombies really do move very fast and terrifying to see their eyes turned white and blood everywhere as they bite on humans! Lots of CGI used for the film for the duplication of zombies...kekekek! 


Apparently Train To Busan was screened at Cannes Film Festival 2016 on 13th May with the main casts appearing as well. Well done for the hard work!
I have to say if it wasn't for Gong Yoo to star in the movie, I might think twice before watching it on big screen. He he! 

No comments: