Saturday, September 24, 2016

Brunch and desserts at ZIMT Cafe in Surrey Hills.

A lovely day to start off the Spring Sunday morning...weather was lovely and sunny. I took a nice drive to Surrey Hills and parked my car at the train station along Union Road. 
ZIMT cafe and bakery is tucked in the lovely neighborhood of Surrey Hills. The streets beside the cafe might have parking restriction, one just need to park at the train station and a 5-minute way will take you straight in front of ZIMT.


The cafe is a corner shop and you won't missed it. The colorful display of the red velvet cakes, flour less orange cakes, pies, pasties, sandwiches and specialty desserts will make you wonder why didn't I discover this place earlier? 

It took me 10 minutes to figure out what I should be having for a brunch. Finally I went on ordering a caramelized leek, mushroom tart (a small one) - costing $6.50 but additional $$ was included as I also wanted some fresh salad and relish with it. The tart was warmed up and served nicely with the side salad. There is also Free Wi-Fi in the cafe. 


To finish up the brunch, I didn't forget my dessert. I ordered the Dobos torte- it's basically a Hungarian sponge cake layered with chocolate buttercream, glazed with chocolate, hazelnut and caramel. The fork which I used had to be dug harder in it since it was cold and rather sweet. I don't know if I know how to appreciate it but it wasn't as nice as I expected it to be. I will try some other desserts in future. Not to forget my cup of cappuccino. Prices are rather steep, not cheap though. The Dobos slice is $8.50 and altogether it was $25+ for a cuppa, Dobos slice with the small mushroom tart along with salad. 

 

ZIMT does serve high tea as well where bookings are essential. The high tea for an adult is $40 which includes tea, scones, array of sandwiches, tarts and desserts in a 3-tier. As for kids 12 and under, price would be $25. On weekends the place does get a bit busy with the neighborhood folks coming for coffee, catching up with friends, chatting and having brunch.
I'd say it's a lovely place. Customer service is good.


No comments: