Sunday, May 22, 2016

Hwang Chi Yeolie syndrome in China.

When vocalist Hwang Chi Yeol arrived first time in China, there was only 1 fan waiting for him at the airport. Now it's totally different for the guy who has become an overnight celebrity. He has hundreds of fans gathered at the airport to see his arrival. The chanting of his name 'Chiyeulie' became a fame three months later. 

At first he was a stranger but now he's become a 'Hallyu star' for China. Grazia Korea has a one to one interview with Hwang.



Q. Lately your mind must be everywhere?
I just arrived in Korea yesterday and I had to go out again quickly. The Chinese version I Am A Singer is once a week so I have been busy digesting for the next schedule. Besides China, the schedule is two hours and I've been staying longer than expected. I travel back and forth between South Korea and China as I have to shoot the program I Live Alone.

Q. What about the increase of popularity?
There were many fans waiting at the airport and I feel thankful for that. Especially for the I Am Singer (China version) they were impressed with my performance, I felt touched and I thanked them for supporting me. 


Hwang Chi Yeol with female vocalist Gummy to perform the duet
You're My Everything (OST from Descendants of the Sun)
Q. China's Hunan TV with 'I am Singer Season 4' must be a popular local program?
It is somehow similar to what we have in South Korea. The progress and competition was somehow different. Since I appeared in their Season 4, it was popular in a way as I managed to compete with the local top stars.

Q. Most memorable experience?
When I had to perform Big Bang's hit song Bang Bang Bang in Chinese version. It won the first place. I was rather surprised. All the time I have continued singing ballads, I did some dance to surprise the audience. At that time, my physical condition wasn't that good, so the dances were rather sloppy. In addition, I was filming I Live Alone so there was a tight busy schedule. 

Q. Each time you go on stage, there is something new on the intro. 
I wanted to contain all the authenticity of the stage. Especially when I try to sing ballad which is bittersweet. I think that point received a good score to the audience. And the day before the contest, I did study and rewrote the hand gestures and body language, facial expressions in the mirror, watching myself on stage to showcase the area. 

Q. During your activities in China, you lost 7 kg, what was the most difficult thing that you have encountered?
Maybe I suffered the most is the language-communication. I have to memorize and learn in Chinese lyrics. Even every other day conversation is difficult. I have an unfamiliar song that I have to learn and while sitting at the waiting room with other singers, you need to keep the flow of conversation. 

Q. After the China activities, your salary has climbed a whopping 100X?
Of course the salary has to increase! (Laughs) But not that much. In one episode of Happy Together, the manager Jang Yu-an did exaggerate a bit...

Q. Tell us about your future plans.
I do not have any specific plans. In the meantime I'm going to preferentially digest all the schedule for now. Unfortunately, I think there was not much time I did being broadcast in South Korea because China activities. And the album on April 26, will be released. Please download and stream it a lot. Thank you.

We will be supporting Hwang endlessly for his wonderful performances!
He's definitely score a point from me and I've got him on my Instagram. *winks*


No comments: