Thursday, November 26, 2015

Restaurant Nyonya Breeze at Straits Quay, Penang.

Nyonya food has been one of my main missions to eat when I go back to Penang. My grandmother took the opportunity to give us a treat at Nyonya Breeze Restaurant at Straits Quay in Penang. It was my last day in Penang before I head back to Melbourne after a long break.

So we went to Straits Quay and saw some Christmas charity celebration set up in the main atrium. Nyonya Breeze was formerly in Aboo Siti Lane. Prices for the food was a bit steep but it boosts a good quality and delicious Nyonya dishes. No regrets!
I love its Nasi Ulam- costs $11.90 per plate. Not cheap though... but filled with kerisik, daun kaduk, dried shrimps and lots of herbs in it...no doubt it has to be one of my best Nyonya dish.


We ordered the Rosie's Special Chicken (deep fried and with red spicy sauce) it was nice!


Next we had the Jiu Hoo Char (stripped yam bean with carrots, mushrooms, pork belly)...nice! They have their famous deep fried spring rolls filled with meat, vege and mushrooms (Choon Piah). This is a must to eat in Nyonya food.


We also ordered the Assam Prawns and 2 plates of Otak-Otak (love this dish!) Otak-otak is a steamed spicy fish paste wrapped in dauk kaduk and spices. It's pretty difficult to find this in Australia unless you are a Baba-Nyonya who knows how to recreate this dish.


My grandma and brother loves this non spicy Sambal prawns - mostly in deep coconut milk garnished with dried shallots and cashew nuts. It's way too creamy for me but apparently Nyonya Breeze is the only restaurant who only knows how to cook this dish.

Mom also ordered pengat (dessert consists of coconut milk cooked with sweet bananas, sweet potatoes) and I had a Nutmeg drink. Altogether the bill was RM186.00 including GST.

Nyonya Breeze is located at 3A-1-7, Straits Quay, Jalan Seri Tanjung Pinang, 10470 Tanjung Tokong, Penang, Malaysia.

Price: 8/10
Food quality: 8/10
Ambience: 7/10







No comments: