Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Highest Grossing Films in South Korea.

As we looked back at the history of South Korean dramas to where it has brought us to, we cannot forget about their Korean films too. The first ever Korean film I've watched was My Sassy Girl 엽기적인 그녀which was released in year 2001. Funny as ever and it brought fame to actor Cha Tae Hyun and actress Jeon Ji Hyun. And then I watched My Tutor Friend 동갑내기 과외하기  (2003) starring Kwon Sang Woo and Kim Ha Neul which was another blast of comedy.

And how can we forget the world and amazement of plastic surgery in 200 Pounds Beauty (2006) starring Kim Ah Joong and Jo Jin Mo. Next was Man from Nowhere 아저씨 -2010 starring megastar Won Bin and child actor Kim Sae Ron. These were the movies that have topped the domestic film admission ranking in South Korea itself. And of course there was the movie Tazza, JSA, Shiri, Marathon, Werewolf Boy, Secretly Greatly, Marrying the Mafia, Speedy Scandal..etc. 

But most of all I could never forget is buying a ticket in 2005 to watch a Korean film in Melbourne Chinatown cinema for the movie- The King and The Clown 왕의 남자 that propelled new actor Lee Jun Ki's fame and became an instant Hallyu star. The movie was far to what I've expected whereby it shows the homosexuality issues set during the Joseon dynasty. I have my fair share of swooning over him and Lee Dong Wook in SBS's drama My Girl at that time. No doubt Gam Woo Seong was a brilliant actor along with veteran actor Jung Jin Young as the tyrant King Yeonsan. But audience were so drawn to the feminine jester, Gong-gil portrayed so well by Lee Jun Ki who has to learn serious tight rope walking, horse riding yet he looked so beautiful. He he! :)

 

The top 10 highest grossing films in South Korea are:

  1. The Admiral: Roaring Currents
  2. Ode to My Father
  3. The Host
  4. The Thieves 
  5. Miracle in Cell No. 7
  6. Masquerade 
  7. King and the Clown
  8. Taegukgi (Brotherwood of War)
  9. Haeundae (tsunami)
  10. The Attorney 
The top 2 films were released in 2014 depicting war times. Roaring Currents was set during the Joseon dynasty on the life depict on the great Admiral Lee Sun Shin who is the national hero for defending Korea against Japanese invaders. 

 


Come to think of it, I have only watched a number of the films listed. The Thieves, Masquerade, King and Cown, Taegukgi and Haeundae are the movies I have watched.
I have to admit I was far impressed with the movie The Face Reader by Song Kang Ho, Lee Jong Suk, Jo Jong Suk and Lee Jung Jae. Haeundae was not to my liking as it didn't look that realistic. But Man from Nowhere caught my attention after all it was Wonbin as the main hero saves the day. 


I have yet to watch The Attorney starring Song Kang Ho, Im Si Wan and Kim Young Ae.
Song Kang Ho been a popular actor in movies seeing that he has done a few movies such as Snowpiercer, The Host, The Good The Bad and The Weird and this year he's back in the new film The Throne (Sado) the famous portrayal of the life-death of Crown Prince Sado- together starring with him is Yoo Ah In, Moon Geun Yeung and Kim Hae Sook. 

When you do get some time, try having a popcorn and some drinks in front of your tele while you enjoy a real nice Korean movie. 

No comments: