Monday, October 6, 2014

Encounter with Korean's famous pianist- Yiruma

Since I was a kid, my father would force us to learn piano and other musical instruments. I remembered the first thing I ever read was from a piano sheet- music notes, what is a treble and bass clef, quarter note, half note, rest...etc. Eww...it was darn boring especially for a kid like me who can't sit still in front of a piano. Everytime when i head for music lesson, I was super lazy and I don't practise my piano scales. But then I managed to pull through music lessons in primary school and even joined the band in high school. I've learned the piano and saxophone :) 

In early May 2013, I was told by a Korean friend that the famous pianist, Yiruma came to town, I was so excited! I've seen him in videos online, variety programs and concerts. I even have all his music he composed for the hit dramas - Winter Sonata, Spring Waltz and Secret Garden. Told myself I must see this pianist in person! His music has reached all over the world especially for those who learned music or even those who listened online or view his videos through YouTube.

I'd describe his music composed personally by himself as peaceful, serene and calm. His music scores are literally not too difficult to play. A Grade 5 piano person can easily pick up his music scores and play it on the piano. His famous hits include Kiss the Rain (played by himself and 2PM's Nickhun in Star King), River Flows in You (played by various Korean idols- such as Seo Kang Jun in Sly & Single drama, SHInee's Taemin in some variety show), EXO's member Chan Yeol even played one of his masterpiece in Room Mate variety program. 



I managed to get myself a spot at Eastland Shopping Centre at Ringwood to catch the pianist himself. He is quite small sized man and dressed comfortably in black shirt and a jacket on. The first piece he played was Maybe. This is a very comfortable yet playful tune. Yiruma also played Australia's favorite folk tune- Waltzing Matilda. Some locals and Aussies wandering around the complex were somehow drawn into the main podium from his beautiful playing of music. Some elderly folks were busy purchasing CDs released by JB Hi-Fi store so they can get him to sign it personally for them. I got myself his greatest hits album so I waited patiently to get it signed by the man himself and we even got a chance to snap a photo with him. Yay!!! Yiruma has brought along his celloist friend who collaborated with him when he plays River Flows In You. It was fantastic! Love it...love it...love it!
I wished I could play half as well as he does.

And after a long queue, ...voila! I got his assistant who was so busy helping out to take photos for each and everyone of us. I've got my CD signed by him too! He speaks pretty good English since he was educated in US since he was 11. I'd say...음악 천재...music genius!

And for those who don't realize, he is the brother in law to the famous actor Kwon Sang Woo. Sohn Tae Young who is Kwon Sang Woo's wife is also an actress and her sister married Yiruma. Anyway enough of gossip... for those who would love music or playing piano, please visit YouTube or any other sites that features Yiruma's live performance or playing of his music scores by other celebrities. 

If you are lucky, he might pop into one of your countries and perform live or hold a concert, make sure you get yourself a good spot to hear him play live! 


No comments: