Sunday, September 28, 2014

Review of Tears Of Heaven Musical 천국의 눈물 뮤지칼

I had the honour to watch Tears of Heaven musical and it was a very moving and superb performance portrayed by the finest stage actors and singers of all times.
Originally written by an American composer- Frank Wildhorn who is also famous for his works such as Jekyll & Hyde, Bonnie and Clyde and Whitney Houston's hit song- "Where Do Broken Hearts Go?

The opening of the musical was unique whereby a middle aged inspiring writer Joon shows his daughter Tiana a photo of a Vietnamese woman. Then the story unfolds how the happy go lucky Joon meets his destiny...

Tears of Heaven musical is a very heart breaking love story set during the Korean-Vietnam War. A fellow Korean soldier- Joon falls in love with a Vietnamese girl, Linh. Linh happens to be working as a singer captured the attention of an American Colonel, James Grayson as well. When the American Colonel is jealous over the couple's lovey dovey relationship, he decides to break them apart by sending Joon to the most difficult mission war where the chances to return are very slim. One of Linh's friend who is in love with Joon conspires with the plot and tells her that Joon has died in the mission, so he will not be returning for good. Linh is so heart broken upon hearing the news so she went off to America with the American Colonel. Surprisingly Joon returned back safely only to find his lover is no longer around waiting for him. 


The Korean version has casted a few young idols as the main characters. JYJ's Kim Jun Su, Jeong Dong Suk, Jung Sang Yoon are the switching characters of Joon. America's famous Broadway Musical Actor Brad Little comes all the way to Korea to perform as the Colonel James Grayson meanwhile Davichi's Lee Haeri and musical singer Yoon Gong Ju will play as Linh.  

The performance of Tears of Heaven has captured the attention of the young and old. Whether you do like the Vietnam war or fighting...it's all about the love story on this couple who were torn apart from war and jealousy. I felt my heart tugged when Joon sings in sorrow for Linh when he was at war. The separation song 'Can You Hear Me?' 



                                                             Like the sun that shines outside your window,
I will be with you wherever you go
Through the night, you’ll feel my heart still beating next to yours
Right by your side, forever I will stay
‘Til the morning comes my prayers will the speak the truth
Like a whisper on the wind, my voice will call to you
Can you hear me?
Can you hear me?
‘Cross the distance words take flight
Carried on the wings of angels
Are the promises that we both made tonight
I am yours
Just believe that I will be here always
That our love will last the rest of our days
‘Cross the miles, I’ll reach for you
 
and in my dreams, your memory will be strong , All through the darkest hours
                                         I will keep you close and when that’s not enough                       
                          Even though we’re far apart, angels will lift us up....can you hear me?


In the musical the song will be sung in duet and it sounds lovely...the women's voice hits out and reaches out to the audience with the high tones. I could see Junsu struggled a bit with the low keys for the song 'I Have to Learn' since he has high pitched voice. But apart from that, he has pulled it through smoothly with audience pulling out tissues wiping tears when Joon longs for Linh. Don't get me wrong though I am JYJ fan, I felt Jeong Dong Suk and Jung Sang Yoon did well as Joon too. They are the taller versions of Joon. Hahah! 

I must give credit to Brad Little for he is the only foreigner who came all the way to join this musical in South Korea. He was great...he has a wonderful voice and powers through the entire hall. Though he can't speak Korean, he tries his best to sing along with the casts.
*Yum....the performance brought me to tears too... * I will say no more- THUMBS UP!
2 words to describe - LOVE IT! Love it, love it, love it!

If you like Miss Saigon, this might be your cup of tea. I think men in uniform rock! 
JYJ fans- Junsu might be dorky as he is, but he's great when it comes in performing on stage. He is chirpyamd clumsy as Joon at the first act going after Linh and cries when he has to separate for good with her...  5/5 stars 



내 눈은 그댈 보지 못해도 
난 항상 그대 곁에 있어요
내 귀가 그대 얘기를 듣지 못해도 알죠 그렇죠 날 사랑하는 걸
어둠 속에 빛이 되어준 사람 나는 그대만을 바라보고 있어요

*들리나요 들리나요 내 마음이 하는 말
세상 어디 있다해도 같은 하늘 아래 있다는 것을 기억해요
눈물이 그대에게 닿으면 하늘에 비가 내리는 거죠
바람이 그대 두 뺨을 어루만진다면 간절한 내 손길인거죠
내게 미안해 하지는 말아요 지금 내 목소리에 귀 기울여 봐요


헤어짐이 두려워도 이대로 사랑해요 사랑해요
내 사랑을 믿어요 세상 어디 있다해도
오늘밤 우리가 맺은 그 약속 기억해요 기억해요 기억해요...




No comments: