Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Review on the Musical ZORRO in Korea- 22/October 2014

Musical was never a thing for me but concerts was my favorite when I was a teenager.
Then comes musical into my life when I saw the advert for Lion King online. 
South Korea is one country that is so into musicals and when they cast in famous singers, idols or actors who can sing/perform well on stage,it drew in another audience. The first musical I ever heard in Korea was The 3 Musketeers featuring Super Junior's Kyuhun. It was a major hit.




I was honoured to secure myself a VIP ticket to watch the musical Zorro held in Chung Am Grand Art Theather near to Sindang & Dongdaemun subway station. The character 'Zorro' was made famous from the actor himself Antonio Banderas as the charming Diego and the beautiful Catherine Zeta Jones as Louisa. The musical Zorro was already played in 2011 in Korea and in 2014 it has returned again with different cast- Diego/Zorro leads were played by SHinee's Key, Beast's Yoseob, singer Whee Sung and Kim Woo Hyun.

For those who intend to watch musicals in Korea- you can register yourself in the English site INTERPARK where it's an official website that sells tickets of musicals, concerts, operas in Korea. One cannot take photos or film during the musical even during the curtain call and encore.





Everyone was so obedient and nobody took their cameras to snap photos. I wish I could be a bit illegal after all I won't be watching musicals so frequent in Seoul.

The Chung Am Grand Art Theatre is huge and fantastic. The sound system was amazing and the stage was great. The opening scene was cool where a guy did some tap dancing and Sonya came out singing with her bandwagon friends. Wheesung as Diego was cute as ever but rather short in height. He sings well and portrays Zorro at night and falls in love with Louisa.
The fighting scenes and swinging ropes were great. I personally find the last scene in a train intriguing where Zorro saves Louisa from the insane Romano. The other dancers and singers were amazing too. The last bit was fun as the dancers grab some of the audience sitting along the aisle to dance along with them. I sat at the aisle but was too shy to go up and dance. 

Overall it was a great experience to see the singers/actors upclose and personal. They bowed while the audience clapped non stop to cheer on their wonderful performance. It was the last few days before this musical wraps up after few months. I left the place around 11pm and the music was still ringing in my ears even after the day... :) Love it! 






No comments: